The New Roxy
367 Issaquenna - Clarksdale, MS 38614
Robin and Matt started to bring the New Roxy back to life in the New
World District during 2008.
In August-2009 Robin became the sole owner as
Matt has moved on to a new adventure.
Built in 1953 by A.N. and Sadie Rossie the New Roxy cinema was
always packed during the early 1950's
and was one of the highest volume black theatres in the state of
Mississippi. As the movie business declined during the 1970's, the
original owners leased
theatre to a number of different people, however further declines led to the
closing in the early 1980's. In 2001, the building was purchased by Pamela
Haskins of Atlanta, GA., however she ultimately decided that her plans for a
community building could not be accomplished.
Next up to bat is Robin & Matt Bolden, purchasing the building in June-2008.
Just to the north of the existing New Roxy is an empty lot
which was the location of the
original New Roxy, which closed in 1953 and later
Sam Cooke MS Blues Trail marker was dedicated on August 7, 2009 in front of the
New Roxy. A "Remembering Sam" panel was held at Ground Zero and
the Cooke Family made appearances on the Main Festival Stage on Saturday August
8, 2009. Sam and his family moved to Chicago in the early 1930's, however
Sam returned to perform at Higgins High School , Geo Oliver School, and 1st
Baptist Church. Representing the Cooke Family at the ceremonies were L C
Cooke-brother, Gwen Green-niece, Toni Cooke-niece, Eric Green-nephew and Eric's
wife Augustine. Earlier in 2009, on April 4, 2009 a Walk of Fame marker
was installed in the sidewalk on Issaquenna Avenue.
Back to "Joints-New Roxy" page
Copyright © 1998-2017 MojoRat LLC. All rights reserved.