Greenwood, MS 38930
Here's the most recent Hoover's Grocery, Kitchen, and
Laundromat (Laundry Closed
in 2018) opened
& Mary Hoover on March 6, 2009. This
building is located
at 200 Young St and
only a laundry while
the original Grocery & Kitchen
operation was located
the street at
214 Young. A major fire on September
15, 2007 forced the
grocery & kitchen at 214 Young St.
Gloria's Birthday Party April-2009
CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS
of Hoover's at 607 Main St
Grocery was at 214 Young St, in the Baptist Town area of
Greenwood, MS. The area is not
well known unless you're a Blues fan. This area is better
known for hard times
and Robert Johnson, the Legendary Bluesman that died there, had his
hard times. Born May 8, 1911 and died August 16, 1938 Robert spent much of
years coming and going from this area of Mississippi.
Hoover, current owner of the store frequented by Johnson in the 1930's, is known
as "The Keeper" of the Robert Johnson blues heritage. Sylvester
has been a tireless
promoter of the Johnson history, myth, and legend. On
August 16, 2001, the 63rd
anniversary of Johnson's death, Hoover participated in
the dedication of a new tombstone at
Johnson's gravesite at Little Zion M. B.
Church. Sylvester is a Deacon and on the Board at
this small church
located on Money Road just North of Greenwood and is a contributor to the
preservation and promotion of the Blues in the Greenwood area.
the year 2000, Sylvester has organized several Blues music gigs on the very
Johnson frequently played within Baptist
Town. A Robert Johnson tribute
held during March-2004 that included Johnson's son, Claud, and Johnson's
After services at Little Zion Church, a special luncheon
was held at Hoover's Store.
(CLICK HERE for
In May-2004, a Robert Johnson birthday celebration was held and in
two blues fans from France were married at the church.
you find yourself in Baptist Town, be sure to visit the "Back in The
opened Feb. 24, 2006. Mary & Sylvester Hoover
operate the Museum
as a charitable organization
to preserve the history and
heritage of the area.
The Museum is located at 204 Young Street and
there is no charge for admission.
CLICK HERE FOR MUSEUM PHOTOS
Other Greenwood, MS area items
Mississippi Blues Commission erected two signs in Greenwood recognizing the
significance of the area. The first sign was erected AT 222 Howard
Street in the downtown
December 11, 2006 to recognize the WGRM radio station. It was at this
station that BB King
first played on the air. The second sign was erected
at the Little Zion M.B.
Church on Money Road at the burial site
of Robert Johnson.
Back to "Joints-Hoover's
Copyright © 1998-2018 MojoRat LLC. All rights reserved.
Page added 7-5-2004